Today I’ve got a reader-requested tutorial about how you can install WordPress on your Windows 7computer (same applies for Windows XP & Vista). This is such an important part of my WordPress working life, and if you don’t know how to do it, now’s your chance to learn. But first…..
Why Would I Want to Install WordPress on my Computer?
Installing WordPress locally gives you a fantastictest environment. You can install as many WordPresses as you want on your computer. On mine I’ve got:
This gives me all sorts of scope for testing stuff out, playing around – a WordPress playground right on my computer.
Let’s get started:
1. Download Xampp
Xampp is an Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. This makes it awesome for WordPress.You can download it from here.
There are a number of different distributions so make sure you select the distribution that’s correct for your operating system. For the purposes of this tutorial we want the Windows distribution.
Click on the distribution.
Click on the installer.
2. Install Xampp
Double click on the installer and choose your language.
Featured Plugin – Easily integrate your WordPress site with Facebook
Decide where you want to install xampp.
Sit back, relax, wait for it to install.
3. Fire up Xampp
Start Xampp. Start Apache and MySQL.
You may get a warning from Windows. You want to make sure that Windows allows access.
You can check to see if your new local server is installed by visiting http://localhost
4. Set up MySQL Database
On your Xampp control panel click the admin button beside MySQL.
Featured Plugin – Start your own Quora / StackOverflow / Yahoo Q&A site
In your browser you’ll be taken to the MySQL dashboard. You need to fill in the details for your new database:
- Set your MySQL connection collation: to utf8_unicode_ci
- Choose the name for your database. I’m naming this one singlesite – you can call it whatever you want.
Note: if you are doing a live installation on a server you must add a username and password. Do not use “root” ever on a live site. This isn’t necessary on a local installation.
5. Download and unzip WordPress
You need to unzip it to the correct folder on your computer. Find the Xampp folder and navigate to xampp>htdocs
Unzip WordPress there and rename the WordPress folder to whatever name you want. I usually match mine to my database name.
6. Configure WordPress
Open up wp-config-sample.php and find the MySQL settings.
Here is what you need to update the settings to:
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
/** MySQL database username */
/** MySQL database password */
/** MySQL hostname */
Remember to replace singlesite with whatever you called your database.
Save the file in your root WordPress folder as wp-config.php
7. Install WordPress
Open up your browser and navigate to http://localhost/singlesite/
Featured Plugin – Open an Online Store with MarketPress
The familiar WordPress installation screen will appear.
Fill in your details and click “Install WordPress.”
There you go – WordPress is installed locally on your computer.
- Introducing Instant WordPress: A Free Portable Development Environment Instant WordPress is an entirely self contained, portable development environment. Find out how quick it is to get up and…
- How to Install WordPress in Under 90 Seconds You thought the famous 5-minute install for WordPress was zippy fast. Now there’s an even faster way to get a…
- WordPress, meet iPad: How to Install WordPress from Your iPad WordPress and iPad are two pretty significant things in my life right now. Recently I bought my very first iPad…
- WordPress runs well on Windows. Full Stop. Period. WordPress runs well on Windows. Full Stop. Period. Those are the words uttered by Microsoft’s Andy Robb at WordCamp UK…
- Integrating bbPress as a Site Wide forum for your WPMU site Taken from: The WordPress MU Manual bbPress is forum software created by WordPress.org that easily integrates with your WMPU site….
Author: Siobhan McKeown
Siobhan McKeown is a big fan of words, and of WordPress, which works out pretty well since she runs Words for WP, the only copywriting service dedicated to WordPress service providers. You can find her on her personal blog,twitter and occasionally hanging out on G+.